These bars are easy to whip up and great for lunch box snacks, I have also used this recipe as a base to a banana cheesecake before, works a treat!
- 2 ½ large very ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon on vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- ¼ cup pitted, chopped dried dates
- ¼ cup of chopped nuts, such as walnuts, hazelnuts or pecans
- 2 tablespoons of finely desiccated coconut, and a little extra to sprinkle on top
- Nutmeg, to your taste (optional)
- Heat oven to 175 degrees and lightly grease a 20×20 cm square baking dish with olive oil or line it with some baking paper.
- Puree the banana so they’re in liquid form with no large chunks. You should have approx. between 1-1 ¼ cup).
- Stir in the vanilla bean paste, along with the oats, coconut, dates, and nuts.
- Pat the thick mixture evenly into the baking pan. Sprinkle the top lightly with nutmeg and the coconut.
- Bake for 30 mins or until the edges begin to crisp up.
- Place the baking pan on a rack to cool.
- When the pan is mostly cool cut into bars and enjoy.
- Store at room temperature and they’ll keep for 5 days.
- They also freeze well.