Are you looking for healthy snacks that your kids will love? Well look no further! We have you totally sorted with these deliciously healthy chicken dippers. The kids will be happy because they taste great, and you’ll be happy because you know that they’re getting a good dose of vegetables and protein. Win win!
Unlike the chicken nuggets that you buy frozen from the supermarket (and often wonder what on earth is in them), these Healthy Chicken Dippers are made with chicken mince, grated zucchini, capsicum, onion and carrot.
To keep the Healthy Chicken Dippers nice and moist on the inside (and for an added flavour boost), we like to coat the mixture in egg before rolling into the breadcrumbs. And if you’ve got a spare minute or two, not make your own breadcrumbs out of wholemeal bread for an extra fibre kick.
Our Healthy Chicken Dippers are baked in the oven, so there’s no need for frying! Yep, you can kiss goodbye to those oil soaked chicken nuggets for good.
So let’s get into the recipe:
• 500g chicken mince
• 1 carrot, finely grated
• 1 zucchini, finely grated (and excess liquid squeezed out)
• ½ red capsicum, finely grated
– 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 eggs, lightly whisked
• 1 and 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
• olive oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
2. Line a tray with baking paper.
3. Place the grated carrot, onion, zucchini and capsicum into a strainer and squeeze out any excess liquid.
4. Place the chicken mince and vegetables into a large bowl and mix until well combined.
5. Shape the chicken mixture into little dippers (about 2cm X 4cm).
6. Place the eggs into a bowl and whisk until light and frothy.
7. Coat each dipper in the egg mixture, allowing any excess to drip off.
8. Immediately coat in the breadcrumbs and then place onto the baking tray.
9. Spray the chicken dippers lightly with oil.
10. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
11. Remove and turn over.
12. Bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until golden and crispy on the outside and cooked through on the inside.
13. Serve with tomato dipping sauce.
Don’t worry if the mixture is quite soft when you’re coating it in the egg and breadcrumbs – as long as you’ve squeezed out all of the excess liquid in the vegetables, they’ll be fine!
These dippers are the perfect snack on their own, or they can be added to a wrap for an extra delicious lunch. Or why not serve them with a light salad for a beautifully balanced meal. The kids will love them. You’ll love them…. And really? What’s not to love about Healthy Chicken Dippers!
What are your favourite ways to smuggle vegetables into your kids meals?