If you are looking for a cake recipe which ticks all the right boxes – this Caramel Mud Cake is for you! It’s simple to make, can be made using just a saucepan, it’s beautifully moist and can be easily decorated for your next special occasion. While just looking at the list of ingredients alone may be enough to give you a toothache, once baked this cake has just the right amount of sweetness to satisfy everyone. We think it’s perfect iced with the extra Caramel Top n Fill which is leftover from the recipe, however it would also be delicious topped with a milk or white chocolate ganache.
To make this amazing Caramel Mud Cake, you will need:
200g unsalted butter – chopped into small pieces
100g white chocolate
220g block of Cadbury Caramello Chocolate
1 tin of Nestle Caramel Top n Fill
¼ cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs – lightly beaten
1 cup of plain flour – sifted
1 cup self raising flour – sifted
2 x 80g packs of Maltesers to decorate
Let’s put it all together!
1. Preheat your oven to 150ºc
2. Line both the bottom and sides of a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
3. Place the chopped butter, chocolate and 200 mls of water in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook until melted together – set aside to cool slightly.
4. In the meantime, mix the Caramel Top n Fill until it has a smooth consistency. Add ¾ of the Top n Fill, brown sugar and vanilla, to the chocolate mixture & stir well to combine.
5. Add the eggs and mix well.
6. Sift in flours, whisking as you go to prevent any lumps. If you are up to the challenge, you can whisk the mixture by hand in the saucepan until it’s smooth and has completely combined, or alternatively you can use an electric mixer and beat for approximately one minute until it is smooth.
7. Once the mixture is smooth, pour it into your lined cake tin and place it in the oven to cook for for 1hr and 20mins, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out with moist crumbs on it.
8. To decorate, you can use the remaining Caramel Top & Fill and spread all over the cake. Use the maltesers to decorate the top of the cake. You could also decorate with a milk or white chocolate ganache if you prefer.
Note: This cake will keep wrapped and in an air tight container for 5 – 7 days.
What is your favourite cake recipe?