This Thermomix pumpkin, bacon and spinach quiche is a fabulous weeknight meal and way faster than you’d expect. No more store bought quiches full of additives and preservatives, try this healthy home made version that is not only better for you but tastes awesome too!
As an added bonus, quiche freezes well AND taste good cold. Plus, even the kids will love it. Pop it into the kids lunch boxes or take it to work for a healthy and filling lunch. I like to serve it with a side salad but it is very filling on its own.
This recipe will make two quiche bases so you can either double up for a large family or save one for later. Freeze it in portions for a quick last minute dinner.
Thermomix pumpkin, bacon and spinach quiche recipe
- 400g plain flour
- 200g cold butter, cubed
- 130g ice cold water
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Put the flour and butter into the thermomix and chop it up for 5 seconds on speed 6 until it looks a bit like bread crumbs.
- Add the water a little at a time and mix on speed 5 for a second or two each time you do it. Once all the water is mixed in, set the dial to the closed lid position and knead into a dough for 30 seconds on interval speed. It should look like very large bread crumbs once it’s finished kneading.
- Tip it out of the Thermomix and roll it up into two equal sized balls.
- You can either press the pastry into two flan tins or just use one and wrap the second ball of pastry up in cling film plastic and pop into the freezer for another day (it will keep for up to three weeks).
- Pop your pastry flan into the oven and bake for 10 minutes to make sure the pastry isn’t undercooked when you bake it with the filling.
- Take it out and let it cool while you prepare your filling.
(This fills one quiche – you will need to double it for two)
- 4 rashes of bacon
- 1 sweet small sweet potato or 1/4 butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1/2 onion
- a handful of baby spinach leaves
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 70g cream
- 70g cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- a handful of grated cheese to sprinkle on top
- Make sure the oven is still on – or turn it on to 180 degrees.
- Steam the sweet potato/pumpkin cubes until 3/4 cooked and set aside.
- Grill or fry the bacon and slice it up thinly. Set aside.
- Put the onion into the Thermomix bowl and chop for 5 seconds on speed 6.
- Add the oil and saute for three minutes on 100 degrees, speed 1.
- Add the eggs, cream, cream cheese and salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix for 6 seconds on speed 6.
- Sprinkle the bacon, spinach and sweet potato/pumpkin on the bottom of the pastry flan and then pour over the egg mix.
- Sprinkle some grated cheese on top and pop it into the oven to bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until golden brown and the egg has cooked through.
- Serve with a side salad.
About the author: Robyn from Mrs D plus 3
Robyn writes over at Mrs D plus 3 which started out as a way to keep in touch with old friends after she packed up her family and moved from the UK to Australia. The blog has grown into a community of fun, crazy women who love sharing in her family and food adventures. She can’t live without her Thermomix and never leaves the house without a camera.
This recipe originally appeared on Mrs D plus 3 and has been reproduced with permission. If you love your Thermomix and enjoyed this awesome Thermomix pumpkin, bacon and spinach quiche then check out her blog for heaps more Thermomix recipes.