Trying to get my kids to eat more vegetables is an ongoing battle. Sometimes no matter how hard I try, I just can’t persuade/bribe them into eating their veggies. One of my go to morning tea snacks are these Savoury Muffins, as they are a great way to boost their vegetable intake without them even realising!
The thing I love about this base recipe, is that it’s really quick and easy to put together, and you can add just about any vegetable combination you like. When I’ve made this in the past I have added ham or bacon, but these also taste great meat free.
This is also a great recipe to make with a little helper. There is lots of mixing and sifting involved, and you it’s such a fail safe recipe it’s ok if a little extra flour or other ingredients are added along the way.
To make these Savoury Muffins, you will need:
2 cups of self raising flour – sifted
1 cup of corn kernels (I used frozen)
1 cup baby spinach leaves – roughly chopped
1 cup of grated tasty cheese
2 medium tomatoes – diced
½ cup olive oil
1 cup of sour cream
pinch of salt and pepper to taste
Extra grated tasty cheese for the top – approximately 1/2 a cup
Now let’s put it together!
1. Line 2 x 12 muffin trays with paper cases and lightly spray with cooking oil (this makes it easier to remove the muffins from their cases).
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, corn, spinach, cheese and tomatoes. Add the salt and season with pepper to taste.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, sour cream and oil. Pour over dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Spoon mixture into the muffin cases and sprinkle over the extra cheese.
5. Bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
How do you encourage your kids to eat more vegetables?