Most of us are after easy and family-friendly dinners, right? Meals where you can just throw everything into a dish, pop it in the oven and leave it to cook are simply the best! This Creamy Potato & Chicken Casserole is exactly that… an easy, no-fuss meal that you can put into the oven and forget about while you get on with all of the other bazillion jobs that are calling your name (yep, I know the feeling!).
Like any good casserole, you need to cook this one for quite a while (1 and 1/2 hours). This gives the casserole time for the flavours to develop, the potatoes to soften and the chicken to become infused with the creamy sauce. It really is so worth it. By using a creamy chicken soup sachet and evaporated milk, you are also eliminating the need for cream, which is great if you’re conscious of what you’re eating. You still get a yummy creamy sauce, but without all of the extra calories!
I like to serve this casserole with some crusty bread on the side. It goes beautifully with the delicious creamy sauce. There’s nothing quite like mopping up leftover sauce with crusty bread! This is also a great way to get your family eating a few extra vegetables too!
What are your favourite family-friendly meals?
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into cubes
250g skinless chicken breast, diced into cubes
1 zucchini, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (reserve 1/2 cup for sprinkling near the end of the cooking time)
1 X 45g sachet creamy chicken soup simmer mix
1 X 375ml tin evaporated milk
1 spring onion, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Grease a casserole dish really well (you don’t want the mixture to stick to the sides).
3. Chop the vegetables and chicken into cubes.
4. Layer half of the chicken and vegetables onto the base of the casserole dish.
5. Top with 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese and half of the chopped spring onions.
6. Repeat with the remaining vegetables, chicken, cheese and spring onions.
7. Place the creamy chicken soup sachet into a bowl. Add enough of the evaporated milk to make a paste.
8. Add the remaining evaporated milk and mix together until completely smooth and no lumps remain.
9. Pour the creamy milk mixture over the casserole.
10. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
11. Remove the foil and cook for a further 30 minutes (add the remaining half cup grated cheese for the last 15 minutes.
12. Serve immediately.