If you are like me and always on the look out for easy family dinner ideas, you are going to love this easy Egg and Bacon Pie recipe. Egg and Bacon Pie was always a favourite of mine growing up, and it’s fast becoming a favourite of my boys too. You don’t have to worry about making your own pasty, simply use a sheet of ready made puff pastry, then all you need to do is add the other ingredients and the whole family will be sitting down to a delicious meal in no time.
To make this easy Egg and Bacon Pie, you will need:
5 rashers of short cut bacon – diced
1 brown onion – diced
1 clove of crushed garlic
1 teaspoon of parsley – finely chopped
¾ cup of grated tasty cheese
¼ cup of finely grated parmesan cheese
1 tomato – thinly sliced
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry – thawed
Let’s put it together!
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees
2. Using a rolling pin, gently roll the sheet of pastry to around half of it’s original thickness.
3. Lightly grease 20cm pie tin, or you can use a 20cm square baking dish.
4. Gently place pastry into dish, and using your fingers lightly push the pastry into the corners of the dish, and up the sides.
5. Add garlic, onion and bacon to a frypan over a medium/high heat and cook for 10 minutes until bacon has started to crisp, and the onion has turned translucent. Remove from frying pan and place on a sheet of paper towel to remove excess oil and allow to cool slightly.
6. Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk eggs together, add parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
7. Spoon half of the bacon and onion, ½ cup of tasty cheese and ¼ cup of parmesan cheese over the pastry. Slowly pour the whisked eggs over the top of the pastry, then add the remaining bacon and onion mixture.
8. Top with slices of tomato, a small sprinkle of freshly cracked pepper and top with remaining ¼ cup of grated tasty cheese.
9. Bake in oven for 50 minutes, or until the centre a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
10. Carefully remove the egg and bacon pie from the oven and allow it to cool in the dish for 5 minutes before cutting into portions and serve.
This tastes great served with steamed green veggies or a light salad.
What are your favourite meals from your childhood?