One of my favourite activities in the lead up to Easter is having some fun in the kitchen with my kids. I’m always on the lookout for simple easter recipes that are not only easy to put together for the kids, but also taste great. These Cadbury Creme Egg Cupcakes are a great recipe to make with little helpers, as there are lots of jobs for them to do. The hardest part of making these will be stopping the kids from eating all the easter eggs.
To make these delicious Cadbury Creme Egg Cupcakes, you will need:
2½ cups of self raising flour
⅓ cup of cocoa powder
½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
⅔ cup of caster sugar
1½ cups of buttermilk
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
150g of melted butter – cooled.
32 mini cadbury creme easter eggs
Let’s put it together!
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line 18 cupcake holes (1½ trays) with paper cases.
2. Place the butter into a microwave safe bowl and cook for 30 seconds or until melted. Set the butter aside to cool.
3. Into a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda and then add the sugar. Stir all of the ingredients together before making a well in the centre.
4. Combine the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla essence in a small jug before pouring them into the sifted dry ingredients.
5. Add the cooled melted butter and gently fold all of the ingredients together until they have just combined – it’s important that the mixture should still be a little lumpy.
6. Spoon the cupcake mixture into the paper cases, filling each one until they are approximately ¼ full. Place one of the mini cadbury creme easter eggs in the centre and cover with cake mixture until the paper case is ⅔ full.
7. Place the cupcakes into the oven and bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until they are cooked through when tested with a skewer.
8. Let the cupcakes cool in the baking tray for five minutes before carefully moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.
9. You can use any type of icing you like to cover your cupcakes, to save some time, I used a store bought vanilla frosting to cover mine.
10. Once the cupcakes have cooled, cover them with approximately 1 tablespoon of icing.
11. Place one mini cadbury creme easter egg on top of the frosted cupcake and repeat until all the cupcakes have been iced and decorated.
Have you done any easter baking with your kids yet this year?
What’s your favourite easy easter recipe?