With Easter only a little over a month away (I know, I can’t believe it either!) there is no better time than now to start head into the kitchen for some Easter Baking fun. These Easy Easter Cupcakes are the perfect sweet treat to make if you need to put something together in a hurry or if you are wanting to do some baking with the kids.
To create these gorgeous little cupcakes, we have used a simple chocolate cupcake recipe and to save time we have used a store bought vanilla frosting, but you could certainly ice these with your favourite homemade buttercream icing – or even with a rich chocolate ganache. To decorate we simply used our favourite speckled chocolate easter eggs. To add to the Easter spirit, we also used some cute chicken and bunny cupcake cases – they are so cute!
You will need:
2 1/2 cups of self raising flour
1/3 cup of cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
2/3 cup of caster sugar
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
150g of melted butter – cooled.
18 small easter eggs
1 container of Betty Crocker Vanilla Icing
Let’s put it together!
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line 18 cupcake holes (1 1/2 trays) with paper cases.
2. Place the butter in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 30 seconds or until melted. Set aside to cool.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and add the sugar. Stir all of the ingredients together before making a well in the centre.
4. In a small jug, combine the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla essence before pouring them into the well made from the sifted dry ingredients.
5. Add the cooled melted butter and gently fold all of the ingredients together until they have just combined – the mixture should still be a little lumpy.
6. Spoon the cupcake mixture into the paper phases, filling each one until they are approximately 3/4 full. Place the cupcakes into the oven and bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until they are cooked through when tested with a skewer.
7. Let the cupcakes cool in the tin for five minutes before carefully transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Once the cupcakes have cooled, cover them with approximately 1 tablespoon of vanilla frosting and use a spatula to cover. Place 2 -3 small easter eggs on top of the frosted cupcake and repeat until all the cupcakes have been iced and decorated.
Do you enjoy baking with your kids? What is your favourite easy Easter recipe?