Friday nights at our house can only mean one thing… pizza night! We’re big fans of making our own pizzas (although sometimes we’re lazy and buy them instead). Luckily for me, my hubby is an amazing pizza maker, so he usually gets the job of cooking, while I… ahem… relax with a glass of wine! So, if this sounds like a good plan to you, then maybe leave this screen open on your computer as your hubby is walking past and he just may get the hint.
Anyway, this pizza is so easy – which makes it perfect for a lazy Friday night. It’s made using a store-bought pizza base so it will be beautiful and crispy in no time at all. If you’re feeling adventurous, then go right ahead and make your own dough. If not, grab that glass of wine because it’s time to kick back and relax!
I like to use lots of big flavours in this pizza. The olives and feta are really the standout ingredients for me. The bacon also adds a delicious touch, although prosciutto, pancetta or salami are great alternatives too. If you want to add a beautiful, fresh flavour kick, then pop some fresh basil leaves over the top after cooking. Perfect! I like to use grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese in addition to the feta. This gives the pizza that beautiful cheesy flavour without being too over the top!
Now that you’re (hopefully) drooling, let’s get into the super easy recipe.
Easy Italian Pizza
1 store-bought pizza base
1/4 cup pizza sauce (or tomato paste)
1/2 cup grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
4 shortcut rashers of bacon, diced into small pieces
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
50g pitted kalamata olives
100g feta crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees celsius (200 fan forced).
2. Spread the pizza sauce over the pizza base.
3. Top with the diced bacon and the grated cheddar/mozzarella cheese.
4. Place into the oven to cook for 10 minutes.
5. Remove the pizza from the oven and add the cherry tomatoes, olives and feta.
6. Return the pizza to the oven for a further 5 minutes or until it’s completely cooked through and the base is crispy.
7. Cut into slices and serve.
* This pizza is delicious when topped with fresh basil leaves
* You can substitute the bacon for prosciutto, pancetta or salami
* Top tip – for an extra crispy pizza base – cook your pizza on a pizza stone.
Is Friday night pizza night at your house too? What are your favourite pizza topping combinations?