Now that summer is here, there’s no better time to whip up a deliciously light and tasty Chopped Cobb Salad.
At our house this is one of the most requested salads for dinner. It’s perfect for summer because it’s packed full of yummy ingredients and you don’t need to heat up the kitchen by cooking for hours!
I like to make this salad on busy weeknights because it really is so quick and simple. By popping into the supermarket on the way home and grabbing a cooked BBQ chicken, you’ll have dinner on the table in no time. If you’re a fan of firing up the BBQ during summer, then you could of course cook chicken breasts on the BBQ instead.
Then it’s simply a matter of chopping up all of your salad ingredients and laying them out on a plate for people to pick and choose what they like. This is perfect for fussy eaters! I’ve included my Chopped Cobb Salad recipe below but you can of course change around any of the ingredients to suit your family’s tastes and preferences. That’s what a salad is all about – being easy, versatile and of course, super yummy!
Generally I like to make a big batch of this salad so that I can put the leftovers in a wrap or roll the following day. But hey, that’s just me! I’m a big fan of leftovers for lunch!
So if you’re stuck for dinner inspiration this week, why not make a Chopped Cobb Salad… the whole family will love you for it!
• 3 eggs, hard boiled
• 1 BBQ chicken, skin removed
• 1 avocado
• 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
• 150g feta cheese, crumbled
• 8 slices short-cut rindless bacon, chopped
• 8 small cos lettuce leaves, roughly chopped into strips
• 1 red onion, thinly sliced
• 1 200g tin sweet corn kernals
• ¾ cub store-bought ranch dressing
1. Hard boil eggs in a pot of simmering water for 7 minutes (for a slightly soft yolk). Set aside to cool before peeling.
2. Cut each egg into 6 chunks.
3. Fry the short-cut bacon in a frying pan until crispy and set aside.
4. Chop the breast meat from the BBQ chicken into 2cm cubes.
5. Chop the cos lettuce leaves into long thin strips and place onto a large serving dish.
6. Halve the cherry tomatoes and place into a long strip on top of the lettuce.
7. Repeat with the crumbled feta, chopped avocado, bacon, chicken, egg, thinly sliced onion and the corn kernals.
8. Just before serving, drizzle over the store-bought ranch dressing.
What are your favourite summer salads?